Sr. Infrastructure Engineer-eHow.com Demand Media
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED
Sr. Infrastructure Engineer-eHow.com
Engineering | Santa Monica, CA, United States
The Media Operations team is looking for an experienced, motivated, devops-focused systems administrator to work on eHow.com (10th most visited site in US based on comScore). Our servers are hosted in multiple datacenters and tightly integrated with CDN's to ensure 99.99% uptime. We serve millions of page views per day and process thousands of requests per second. Our development teams ship code when ready and utilize agile development methodologies. Code is always changing and while we rely heavily on engineers to test their own code we utilize a combination of black box testing, heavy automation, and configuration management processes to minimize negative impact to the business.
- Engineering - Interface with engineering teams to understand code changes, assess risk and ensure best practices for operational tasks
- Be strong in troubleshooting technical issues, communicating and documenting procedures, and recommending architectural changes if necessary
- Operations - Provide adequate response to error alerts, ensure proper monitoring implementation and provide solutions to ensure 100% site up time.
A few examples of technologies we work with on a daily basis: Apache, Redis, Solr, MySQL, MongoDB, Memcache, Puppet, Splunk, Graphite, Nagios, Cacti, SVN, Git (Gitorious), JIRA and Confluence
- 3-5+ Experience with Linux system admin operations; Windows Server and IIS experience a plus
- Must be able to directly communicate with developers on specifications and architecture required to support numerous project/features
- Demonstrated experience working with web applications (Apache, nginx, etc)
- Shell scripting knowledge and/or Python, PHP, Ruby, etc.
- Knowledge of RHEL based systems (i.e. CentOS)
- Experience with CDNs (Akamai, Edgecast, etc.)
- MySQL experience is a plus, Mongo or similar NoSQL experience is a huge plus
- Able to discern a network issue vs a system issue.
- Proficient with deploying and managing systems utilizing Puppet (CFEngine and Chef experience is comparable)
- Knowledgeable with Red Hat package management (rpm and yum, building rpms, maintaining a yum repo)
- Able to dissect an existing application stack and convert the configuration of the system and application into an automated process
- Participate in on-call rotation duties for emergency operations of servers as they relate to internal applications
<< Back to Current Openings
||Santa Monica, CA |
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED