Tesla's goal is to accelerate the world's transition to electric mobility with a full range of increasingly affordable electric cars. California-based Tesla designs and manufactures EVs, as well as EV powertrain components for partners such as Toyota and Daimler. Tesla has delivered over 15,000 electric vehicles to customers in 31 countries. Model S is the world's first premium sedan to be engineered from the ground up as an electric vehicle. Model S was named Motor Trend's prestigious 2013 Car of the Year, achieved the best safety score of any car ever tested by the NHTSA, and Consumer Reports is calling it the best car it has ever tested.
Tesla Motors is committed to hiring and developing top talent from across the world for any given discipline. Our world-class teams operate with a non-conventional automotive product development philosophy of high inter-disciplinary collaboration, flat organizational structure, and technical contribution at all levels. You will be expected to challenge and to be challenged, to create, and to innovate. These jobs are not for everyone, you must have a genuine passion for producing the best vehicles in the world. Without passion, you will find what we're trying to do too difficult.
As a Materials Engineer on Tesla's Vehicle Engineering team, you will have the opportunity influence Tesla's revolutionary vehicle product lines. Areas of focus include: the instrument panel, HVAC ductwork and vents, and all soft trim.
- Specialize in all materials to support the Interiors Engineering team in materials and process selection for the instrument panel, HVAC ductwork and vents, and all soft trim
- Collaborate in the selection of the material and qualify the material to the application specifications
- Assist CAE in characterizing the material for modeling
- Work with manufacturing/tier suppliers in optimizing the process as it relates to the material
- Collaborate with cross functional teams within the Tesla Vehicle Engineering
- Strong knowledge/expertise of materials including: PVC, PUR, TPO skins and leather wrapping related to applications
- Strong knowledge/expertise of processes including: Foam in place, vac-forming, slush molding, spray urethane skins, blow-molding, injection molding, chrome plating, soft-touch paint, laser scoring for air bag deployment
- 10+ years of experience in advanced engineering, applications engineering, product development or R&D related to soft trim and IP
- Experience at a supplier of interior soft trim and instrument panels
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical, Materials, or Polymer Engineering
|Headquarters:||1050 Bing Street|
San Carlos, CA 94070
|Industry:||Cleantech / Energy|