Sr. Tech Writer, Toronto, Canada Guidewire Software
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED
We're looking for talented and intellectually curious Technical Writers for our engineering team. Writers with both intuition and analytical thinking. Writers who quickly understand complex software. Writers who visualize the big picture of a feature but are technical enough to boldly dive in to source code to figure out how something works. We want writers who experiment with the product to push limits, test bounds and assumptions, and brainstorm about edge cases.
Do you want to know why something works this way? Do you ask yourself â€œWhat happens if I â€¦ â€ frequently? Do you know which questions to ask next? Can you write for experts or novices depending on context? Do you sense when topics need more documentation? Can you read source code and get the gist of it? Can you tell what to rewrite, and what to leave alone because it's doing its job well?
You will be the first Technical Writer in our Mississauga (Toronto area) development center, working closely with engineers, product managers, and the rest of the local project team. Additionally, you will collaborate remotely with the rest of our Documentation and Development teams based at our headquarters in Foster City, California. To succeed in this role, you must have excellent communication skills, an outgoing nature, and a strong self-motivated attitude.
Guidewire sells enterprise web-based software products to insurance companies that offer Property and Casualty insurance. Our customers require a highly-configurable and reliable technology platform. It turns out that writing that kind of software to work for insurance companies worldwide is surprisingly complex and difficult to get exactly right. Understanding and rising to that challenge can be exciting!
Our products use a rich platform of XML workflows, scripting trigger points, programming APIs, a guaranteed-delivery messaging system, and configurable appearance and behavior. We develop new leading edge technologies for our products, including a custom web application layer and persistent business data layer. We built the Gosu language to make us more productive, and it's now freely available at http://gosu-lang.org.
Each Guidewire product uses our shared platform. Each application adds a domain-specific layer that addresses business needs, such as a policy revisioning architecture.
About the Doc Team
As a member of the Documentation Team, you write documentation that helps people successfully deploy and customize Guidewire web applications.
Our documentation is not end-user documentation. It is not consumer-level writing. Your audience includes business analysts, technical consultants, CTOs, and various levels of programmers. All of them need to understand abstract concepts, as well as the use and configuration of our applications. Your audience is diverse, including external audiences at customer sites and internal consultants who work with customers.
Every product feature supports larger business objectives. You must deeply understand the end-to-end behavior as well as related configuration files and APIs. To do this, you work closely with our development engineers and product managers.
Just like the rest of the company, the Doc Team invests resources to create tools that support the productivity and sanity of our Technical Writers. For example, a suite of custom FrameScript code helps us with conditional text, finds style or translation issues, and finds broken cross references, graphics, insets, and more.
Technical Writers at Guidewire spend practically no time doing production work before generating PDF and HTML for final release. A server generates nightly builds of all books for all of our products. The server sends individualized validation reports to each writer, so we find problems early on, in a low drama way, long before our deadlines. This process scales well, so we can focus on learning complex information and writing about it for various audiences.
Qualities of our ideal candidate
Required technical background
- Proven technical experience, particularly about software
- Top-notch writing, since we do our own editing
- Proven ability to make complex things easy to understand
- Innate curiosity about how things work
- Ability to elicit information from experts, but learns more by experimenting
- Good attention on important things, but also a sharp eye for subtle problems
- Excellent intuition about structuring documentation and the tasks required
- Verbal communication skills with writers, engineers, and product managers
- Ability to work with people with respect, low drama, and positivity
- Judgment about when and how to advocate for changes or improvements
- Organized: follows processes, meets hard deadlines, and prioritizes many tasks
- Adaptable to changing priorities and team processes
- Knowledge of standard industry practices in technical writing
- Proactive independent learning of new things just to explain something well
- Understands perspectives of novices and experts, and can write for both audiences
Preferably, candidates also have some of the following
- 5+ years experience writing about complex software
- Strong knowledge of web applications
- Working knowledge of web-related standards such as HTML, CSS
- Understanding of relational databases and related concepts and terminology
- Working knowledge of Object Oriented Programming (OOP) concepts and terms
- Experience with XML-based software configuration
- Remembers and can talk about technologies from previous jobs
- College degree in Computer Science, Technical Writing, English, Engineering, or any degree or experience that demonstrates rigorous technical study
- Ability to write code to test assumptions or for short documentation examples
- Experience with network protocols and standards such as SOAP, WS-I
- Experience writing about enterprise web applications
- Experience in an Agile environment
- Experience writing documentation that will be translated into other languages
- Proficiency with authoring tools such as Adobe FrameMaker
Our software is great, the coffee is okay, and the buildings are decent enough. What's special, though, is that we're a team passionately focused on customer success and our long term goals. At the heart of Guidewire culture are three principles:
- Collegiality. We work together as professional equals, with a minimum of hierarchy. We strive for good processes and realistic assumptions to keep workload sustainable. We trust people to manage their own time. We seek input without regard for title. We welcome and consider contrary opinions. We value work/life balance.
- Integrity. We insist on truthful relationships with customers, prospective customers, partners, investors, and each other in everything that we do.
- Rationality. We communicate through clear arguments. We decide carefully based on factual evidence. We like calm, systematic, thoughtful solutions. We run tons of unit tests to prove our code works as expected. We refine processes, borrow from others when it makes sense (Agile, kanban), and invent processes and tools when necessary.
Seem Like a Good Fit?
If you're excited by the same things we are, we want to hear from you today! To see job listings and testimonials from employees about what it's like to work at Guidewire, go to http://www.guidewire.com/about-guidewire/careers/
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED
As the number one provider of enterprise software applications to the property and casualty insurance industry, we beat our competitors (Accenture, SAP, and others) 9 times out of 10. Guidewire is an award-winning company both within the insurance industry and in the software technology space. Given our success and increasing demand for our products domestically and internationally, we continue to experience double-digit revenue growth. Guidewire has offices throughout the world, including in London, Munich, Paris, Sydney, Tokyo, Toronto, Hong Kong, and the United States.
Profitable Investors: Battery Ventures
, Bay Partners
, U.S. Venture Partners All Jobs: at Guidewire Software
|Headquarters:||2211 Bridgepointe Parkway, Ste 200|
San Mateo, CA 94404
|Company Profile:||Guidewire Software is a profitable, privately held, and VC-backed enterprise software product development company that exclusively serves the 1.5 trillion dollar property and casualty insurance industry. Our products enable companies such as GEICO, Liberty Mutual, and Amica to efficiently run their high volume core operations, including underwriting, policy administration, claims, and billing.
Our success can be directly attributed to the bright and extremely talented employees who make it all happen. If you are looking for an opportunity where your talents will not only be recognized and leveraged but also challenged, at a company that is grabbing significant market share in a 1.5 trillion dollar industry, then Guidewire is the place for you. We have an extremely low-turnover organization and 100 percent customer referenceability.
Support Guidewire Software with Social Media services