Structural Fabrication Technician (FSW 1st shift) SpaceX
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED
Structural Fabrication Technician (FSW 1st shift)
Technicians and Trade Skills | Hawthorne, CA, United States
SpaceX is a US based space technology company founded by its residing CEO and CTO, Elon Musk, the former co-founder of PayPal. The company's goal is to renew a sense of excellence in the space industry by disrupting the current paradigm of complacency and replacing it with innovation and commercialized price points; laying the foundation for a truly space-faring human civilization.
SpaceX builds rockets and spacecraft from the ground up; including electronics, software, vehicle structures, and engines. In-house development includes nearly all flight critical custom components amounting to approximately 85% of our vehicles both by mass and by value. Our development and production efforts represent some of the most dynamic and challenging technology opportunities seen by any organization.
Our success is driven by a wide variety of engineering perspectives and openness to all great ideas. We pride ourselves on being a meritocracy where employees are defined by their capabilities and contributions, instead of title or tenure. We are actively seeking the best and brightest minds from all industries to continue to build our world class team.
Our employees thrive in a fast-paced engineering ecosystem focused on innovation and high levels of personal responsibility. At SpaceX we cut through the noise and believe in the essentials of hardcore engineering.
We build it, test it, and fly it.
Technicians and Trade Skills â€" SpaceX is continuing to build our highly skilled technician and trades workforce; the extensive in house development and production capabilities at SpaceX would not be possible without their contributions. If you enjoy hands-on development work in and thrive in a fast paced environment, you could make a great addition to our team.
This position will be supporting the build of our Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy first and second stage tanks. Our tanks are assembled using Friction Stir Weld (FSW) Technology. Friction-stir welding is a solid-state joining process (meaning the metal is not melted) and is used for applications where the original metal characteristics must remain unchanged as much as possible. It works by mechanically intermixing the two pieces of metal at the place of the join, transforming them into a softened state that allows the metal to be fused using mechanical pressure, much like joining clay, dough, or plasticine. This process is primarily used on aluminum, and most often on large pieces which cannot be easily heat treated post weld to recover temper characteristics. Friction-stir welding is a fairly new welding technology, SpaceX is willing to train and offer on-the-job training to metal fabricators and/or welders who have the desire and motivation to learn a new skill.
- Support hardware delivery projects for the development of structural components supporting the SpaceX family of products
- Set up tooling and materials for Friction Stir Welding projects under the direction of Friction Stir Weld Engineers and Managers
- Set up and Operate Friction Stir Welding equipment
- Preform periodic maintenance on Friction Stir Welding equipment
- Follow Friction Stir Welding Production Process under the direction of Friction Stir Weld Engineers and Managers
- 3 â€" 5 years of metal or welding fabrication exp
- Must be able to perform basic shop mathematical skills such as trig and fractional math
- Experience with precision measurement instruments (calipers, micrometers, etc.)
- Experience either welding or fabricating titanium, nickel, iron, and aluminum based alloys
- Practical metal fabrication knowledge
- Practical mechanical knowledge
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational, skills, leadership abilities, multitasking abilities, and problem solving skills
- Ability to meet deadlines and have a â€œwhatever it takesâ€ attitude to complete assignments
- Must be able to be self-directed and motivated to achieve department goals
- Must be willing to work 1st shift, 7am - 3:30pm
- Must be willing to work overtime and weekends as needed
SpaceX offers one of the best environments in the world for employees to learn, build real working systems and tackle exciting challenges every day. We operate in a fun, casual work environment and have great benefits including: competitive salary, stock options, medical/dental insurance and free gym memberships. By joining the SpaceX team, you are not just a part of history, you are making it.
- Certifications from an accredited welding school
- Friction Stir Welding exp
- Experience working in a machine shop with CNC knowledge
- Experience working in a manufacturing or production environment
- Basic knowledge of metallurgy of materials and joining processes
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State
Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resource Department at (310) 363-6000.
<< Back to Current Openings
||multiple, multiple |
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED