Structures Engineer - Mass Properties SpaceX
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED
Structures Engineer - Mass Properties
Structures Engineering | Hawthorne, CA, United States
SpaceX is a US based space technology company founded by its residing CEO and CTO, Elon Musk, the former co-founder of PayPal. The company's goal is to renew a sense of excellence in the space industry by disrupting the current paradigm of complacency and replacing it with innovation and commercialized price points; laying the foundation for a truly space-faring human civilization.
SpaceX builds rockets and spacecraft from the ground up; including electronics, software, vehicle structures, and engines. In-house development includes nearly all flight critical custom components amounting to approximately 85% of our vehicles both by mass and by value. Our development and production efforts represent some of the most dynamic and challenging technology problems seen in any organization.
Our success is driven by a wide variety of engineering perspectives and openness to all great ideas. We pride ourselves on being a meritocracy where employees are defined by their capabilities and contributions, instead of title or tenure. We are actively seeking the best and brightest minds from all industries to continue to build our world class team.
Our employees thrive in a fast-paced engineering ecosystem focused on innovation and high levels of personal responsibility. At SpaceX we cut through the noise and believe in the essentials of hardcore engineering.
We build it, test it, and fly it.
Structures â€" Our Structures group is responsible for both primary and secondary structures, as well as tooling and machine design. We do both metallic and composite structural fabrication in-house. Most of what you actually see when looking at a launch vehicle or spacecraft is done by our Structures group. With mass and cost so closely correlated in the space business, our Structures group is constantly striving to develop the most efficient body structures ever created.
The mass properties engineer for SpaceX must be a high-level, forward-thinking individual able to anticipate and solve problems associated with tracking mass data for various vehicles and vehicle configurations simultaneously. This individual will work closely with Production and Design personnel to streamline and correlate CAD model predictions. This individual will be responsible for ensuring accurate data collection, management and distribution for every vehicle in the SpaceX fleet to support all required analytical efforts.
- Ensure accurate in-process data is recorded to support analytical and model correlation efforts
- Develop test hardware and procedures to obtain related mass properties of all production vehicles
- Create and maintain mass properties database for all production vehicles, including alternate configurations
- Supply and make available information to requesting customer sub-systems (Structures, Dynamics, Propulsion, Guidance and Navigation, etc.)
SpaceX offers one of the best environments in the world for employees to learn, build real working systems and tackle exciting challenges every day. We operate in a fun, casual work environment and have great benefits including: competitive salary, stock options, medical/dental insurance and free gym memberships. By joining the SpaceX team, you are not just a part of history, you are making it.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited 4-year university in either Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
- 0 years experience required, 2-4 years experience desired
- Must be proficient in Unigraphics (NX) CAD software
- Must be familiar with statistical and error analysis
- Knowledge of database and web-development software preferred
- Previous mass pro perties experience is highly valued
- Due to our close proximity to hardware, light lifting, bending and climbing may be required to assist in data collection.
- Travel to TX and FL sites may also be required.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, SpaceX hires only U.S. citizens and U.S. Permanent Residents.
Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resource Department at (310) 363-6000.
<< Back to Current Openings
||Hawthorne, CA |
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED