Structures Manager/Director SpaceX
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED
Structures Engineering | Hawthorne, CA, United States
SpaceX is a US based space technology company founded by its residing CEO and CTO, Elon Musk, the former co-founder of PayPal. The company's goal is to renew a sense of excellence in the space industry by disrupting the current paradigm of complacency and replacing it with innovation and commercialized price points; laying the foundation for a truly space-faring human civilization.
SpaceX builds rockets and spacecraft from the ground up; including electronics, software, vehicle structures, and engines. In-house development includes nearly all flight critical custom components amounting to approximately 85% of our vehicles both by mass and by value. Our development and production efforts represent some of the most dynamic and challenging technology problems seen in any organization.
Our success is driven by a wide variety of engineering perspectives and openness to all great ideas. We pride ourselves on being a meritocracy where employees are defined by their capabilities and contributions, instead of title or tenure. We are actively seeking the best and brightest minds from all industries to continue to build our world class team.
Our employees thrive in a fast-paced engineering ecosystem focused on innovation and high levels of personal responsibility. At SpaceX we cut through the noise and believe in the essentials of hardcore engineering.
We build it, test it, and fly it.
Structures â€" Our Structures group is responsible for both primary and secondary structures, as well as tooling and machine design. We do both metallic and composite structural fabrication in-house. Most of what you actually see when looking at a launch vehicle or spacecraft is done by our Structures group. With mass and cost so closely correlated in the space business, our Structures group is constantly striving to develop the most efficient body structures ever created.
The Structures Manager/Director will provide engineering and leadership for structural systems at SpaceX. The manager/director will lead projects from conceptual design through design, analysis, fabrication, test and flight. Daily activities will include driving engineering trades and design work, guiding analysis work, solving problems that come up, leading development of manufacturing processes, directing test work and ensuring the system is ready for flight.
Experience with designing, analyzing, fabricating and testing high performance, mass sensitive structures is a must for this position. The ideal candidate will have a track record of rapidly increasing responsibility and/or high performance in engineering competitions. We offer the potential for quick growth of responsibilities and are looking for a candidate that can succeed in leading a small team (50 engineers). It is expected that managers and directors at SpaceX spend some of their time as individual contributors and as such, candidates should be comfortable with their design/analysis skills.
- Work with and lead a team of engineers, designers, and technicians to define, design and build 21st century launch vehicles and spacecraft
- Lead development of high performance structures
- Evaluate proposed designs and architecture for feasibility of design and scalability under long-term development and support efforts
- Maintain a strong focus on cost reduction, efficiency and productivity
- Play a key role in hiring, mentoring and developing world class talent
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, or Aerospace Engineering.
- 5+ years professional experience working with and managing product development and engineering team
- Results-oriented leader who aligns resources to accomplish key objectives; assigns clear accountability for important objectives; sets the performance bar at the highest standard of excellence
- Demonstrated track record of success in a rapidly growing, changing and highly competitive environment
- Effective written and interpersonal communication skills, along with a passion for product design and manufacturing excellence
- Demonstrated ability to act and execute in a scrappy, entrepreneurial manner against tight timelines and aggressive schedules
Additional position information
SpaceX offers one of the best environments in the world for employees to learn, build real working systems and tackle exciting challenges every day. We operate in a fun, casual work environment and have great benefits including: competitive salary, stock options, medical/dental insurance and free gym memberships. By joining the SpaceX team, you are not just a part of history, you are making it.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resource Department at (310) 363-6000.
<< Back to Current Openings
||Hawthorne, CA |
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED