Palo Alto, California-based, Tesla Motors uses proprietary technology, world-class design, and state-of-the-art manufacturing processes to create a new generation of highway capable electric vehicles. We utilize an innovative distribution model based on Company-owned sales and service centers. This approach allows us to maintain the highest levels of customer experience and benefit from short customer feedback loops to ensure our customer needs are fulfilled. We believe our operational infrastructure provides us with a competitive advantage compared to traditional automobile manufacturers.
- Plan, organize, direct and perform all supplier quality related activities within supply chain team for assigned structural and electro/mechanical components, including identification of risk and mitigation in conjunction with engineering, purchasing, planning and production teams.
- Lead supplier quality audits according to Tesla internal audit requirements for new supplier evaluations and approvals as well as process series/first run & Run@Rate process evaluations. Periodic auditing as required and PPAP requalification of new revisions.
- Assist suppliers in quality assurance processes and procedures to facilitate continuous improvement of supplier and product performance including cost reduction activities.
- Perform root cause analysis with suppliers to bring quality issues to resolution. Review SCAR/8D(Supplier Corrective Action) and verify the effectiveness of supplier actions through subsequent product inspections/receipts/visits.
- Ensure procured product meets drawings, specifications, processes and requirements throughout the product lifecycle.
- Quality audits at supplier sites as needed including new supplier assessments and product launches.
- APQP, PPAP, project tracking using internal tools and metrics.
- Organize and attend daily/weekly/monthly status meetings with suppliers, engineering and purchasing.
- Tesla Production â€" Coordinating rework, sort and MRB activities including RMA collection.
- Minimum 3 years supplier quality experience.
- Advanced understanding of the procedures and practices in the field of Quality Assurance and Production Part Approval Process (PPAP)
- Experience with manufacturing & production processes for fabricated & electro/mechanical components.
- Exceptional ability to read and interpret mechanical and electrical drawings with strong command of GD&T including identifying significant characteristics critical to the design specification.
- Experience with design validation requirements as well as test specifications specifically for extruded, cast and machined components.
- Experience with fluid systems and quick-connect assemblies is preferred.
- Knowledge of TS-16949, lean manufacturing, six sigma, IMDS, VDA 6.3 is beneficial
- Minimum BS in Mechanical Engineering (Electrical Engineering considered)
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced, dynamic environment and be able to handle occasional high pressure/stress situations for resolving urgent issues in a timely manner.
- Excellent and professional interpersonal skills in dealing with suppliers, peers and other functional areas.
- Strong technical writing ability. Strong computer skills in MS Word, Access, Excel and Powerpoint.
- 20-30% travel, possibly on short notice.
Tesla Motors is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.