Waltham, MAJob Summary
Every engineer team needs a generalist and a tool-smith. Someone that can jump anywhere in the code, and be able diagnose a problem or to help with any development task that the team needs. As part of the sustaining team we are looking for such a person, someone that is not afraid to dig into any part of the code and find challenging issues and fix them.
You are a good fit if you have the foundation of a technical degree (Computer Science, Computer Engineering, etcâ¦) and a range of experience gained through your innate curiosity, tinkering, and desire to solve technical issues; specifically:
- Youâre proficient in C++; and that means both OO and generic constructs. Youâll be coding.
- You can find your way around any code, and figure things out.
- A generalist that would not mind doing utilities one day, and fixing defects the next day.
- Youâve reverse-engineered something to learn how it works.
- You want to tackle hard problems, and love challenges.
- Figuring out complex issues and then solving them gives you a rush.
- Finding and solving customer issues that could span from basic configuration, through infrastructure issues and finally complicated code issues is interesting.
In this role, you will be able to solve customer and product issues, make sure it is easily supportable, surface product issue patterns, dig in and address them. This is a role that will take you through all aspects of the product, from UI through the database layer and finally to the core infrastructure code.Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Requirements and Qualifications
- Engage with customer support and customers to understand and find a quick solution to customer issues related to Bit9 product. That includes either finding a remediation or code fix.
- Review logs, systems information, table structures and other debug data to identify areas to improve performance of databases and servers.
- Submit formal product changes (code fix) to QA and release engineering, resulting in production-quality patches for use by customers.
- Verify product changes by others prior to submitting for release.
- Troubleshoot customer-reported issues, and find a quick solution.
- Merge changes into future product releases.
Bit9 is an Equal Opportunity Employer.Â Only direct applications will be considered; no recruiters please.
- 4-5 years of practical experience in a breadth of technical areas.
- Previous experience in a software engineering or product development organization, including some code management and bug tracking tools knowledge.
- Amazing analytical, problem-solving and organizational skills.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field.
- Practical experience in C++ with applied knowledge of object oriented and generic programming.
- Familiar with approaches to security, reverse engineering, threat detection, performance, and quality.
- SQL Server database knowledge or Operating System Kernel knowledge a plus.
- Good written and verbal communication.