Systems Engineer Demand Media
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED
Information Technology | Santa Monica, CA, United States
Why you should work here:
Join our team of smart, creative, and fun solution finding ninjas! Demand Media is a company that not only strives to be the best in its industry, but inspires its employees to achieve their best while working at our company. Our teams are made up of fun, creative, and smart people that are all united by the vision of our company and the fantastic executive leadership that it was founded on and continues to produce.
We offer a fun and engaging work environment where your ideas really can be heard, at even the highest levels of the organization. We want our employees to grow with us, and at the current pace we are going, getting an opportunity to gain more responsibility and leadership, is attainable for those who take the initiative.
If you are a person that shares our values, and is looking to find a company to grow with and be a part of a family, check us out, www.DemandMedia.com.
For this position, we are looking for a mid-senior level Systems Engineer that can be an adaptive, outside-of the box thinker, and enjoys working in a fast paced industry and company.
- Responsible for the development, implementation, production support and overall management of systems and platform engineering (OS, Hardware, HA clustering, middleware) for multiple global, geo-diverse production environments; in a remote hands / lights out data center architecture that is managed centrally.
- Promote systems and platform reliability and efficiency by creating and implementing systems engineering standards and operational best-practices.
- Provide mid-to-expert level technical leadership in design and administration of geo-diverse, highly available systems and platforms.
- Project and design engineering of systems and platforms, using internal architectural standards and design patterns.
- Ensure prompt repair of any failed or degraded equipment and ensure proper operation and maintenance of all equipment.
- Troubleshooting capability using Ethereal, Wireshark, Fluke or other cable or protocol analyzers.
- Plan, facilitate, and participate in systems and platform upgrades, service, and preventative maintenance activities.
- Document systems and platform logical and physical operations processes, procedures, and configurations.
- Communicate issues clearly to business and technical groups within the company.
- Instrument, analyze, and publish systems and platform capacity, performance, and availability metrics.
- Stay abreast of modern systems and platform technology, and possess a minimum of advanced knowledge of industry standard systems and platform tools and methodology.
- Experience with multiple collocation data center facilities with thousands of servers in a mixed Windows and Linux environment.
- Minimum of 5 to 10 years current experience implementing and supporting systems, platforms, and physical layer systems in mission-critical production datacenter environments for more than one company.
- Experience (Certification highly preferred) in three or more of the following OS and platforms is required: Windows 2003 / 2008; Red Hat Linux, SuSe Linux, VMWare, MySQL
- Detailed knowledge of systems and platform management tools and software.
- Experience with systems and platform performance analysis and troubleshooting and resolution of complex problems.
- Advanced level knowledge of TCP/IP, iSCSI, RAID, FC, Ethernet protocols.
- Demonstrated understanding of the relationship systems, platforms, and physical layer systems have with associated business processes.
- Ability to provide Tier 3 support on all production and non-production and physical layer systems, coordinating with Vendor support where necessary.
- Ability to provide production support on all production and non-production systems and physical layer technology issues.
- Advanced knowledge of computer cable plant design and associated IEEE physical layer specifications.
- Working knowledge of voltage systems including UPS, PDU, transformer, ATS, generators; and CRAC and related HVAC cooling systems.
- Experience implementing and supporting new systems and platform technologies, and understanding the associated business implications with a basic amount of supervision.
- Ability to participate in a shared 24/7 on-call schedule.
- Possess excellent analytical and organizational skills.
- Provide guidance and mentoring to other engineers.
- Ability to provide specific examples of past experience as detailed above.
- Minimum of a BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience is required.
<< Back to Current Openings
||Santa Monica, CA |
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED