Technical Writer Platfora
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED
You are a high-energy, start-up enthusiast crossed with a professional, polished communicator. You love learning about new technologies and industries, and love teaching what you have learned to others even more. You are naturally driven to become the expert in whatever product or space you are tasked to document . You care passionately about developing useful, accurate content, and have a knack for knowing the questions a user will ask before they do. You don't wait for the information to come to you, you go out and get it. You are a proud geek that has earned the respect of every engineer you have worked with. But most importantly: you are fun to work with and bring a sense of humor to the toughest of challenges.
No day is ever the same at Platfora, but the responsibilities of your day-to-day job would include the following:
- Work independently to gather information from software developers and product management about new features, and create (helpful, interesting, well-organized, consistent, high-quality) content from scratch.
- Participate in agile feature team meetings and represent the interests of the tech pubs team (and Platfora users). If you have a great idea to improve a product feature, share it!
- Use the product, test each procedure and workflow, become an expert user, and advocate for Platfora's customers. If something seems difficult to document, its probably difficult to use and understand. Speak up when you see a problem that prevents Platfora from being awesome!
- Work closely with customer support to identify opportunities to make the documentation better -- and then make the documentation better. Be responsive to customer requests for information.
- Prepare customer-facing documentation for Platfora releases. This includes things like release notes, training videos, online help, install guides, admin guides - whatever you think is needed to make a customer smile when they get that Platfora release announcement.
- Work with other writers to help define writing styles, standards, and processes. Capture style decisions and doc processes on an internal wiki so future writers can come up to speed quickly.
- 5+ years of technical writing experience in enterprise software.
- Excellent written and verbal English language skills.
- Excellent content planning and organization skills.
- The ability to act as information designer, project manager, writer, editor, and publisher.
- The ability to quickly learn complex concepts and technologies and clearly explain them to others.
- Knowledge or experience with creating documentation in an Agile development environment.
- Knowledge or experience with structured authoring, preferably using DITA and Oxygen XML Editor.
- Knowledge or experience with source control systems, preferably using GitHub.
- Knowledge or experience with bug tracking systems, preferably using JIRA.
You Get Bonus Points For...
- Knowledge or experience with video production software, such as Camtasia.
- Previous experience documenting a data storage, data management, or data visualization software product.
- Previous experience documenting a web application.
- Previous experience writing documentation for system administrator and developer audiences.
- Proficiency on Linux operating systems using the command-line.
- Experience with the Mac operating system.
- A good understanding of programming concepts, preferably with Java and/or Python.
What You Can Expect
We are laser focused on building the next great data company. If you join us, you can expect to work with talented, driven, creative and results-oriented co-workers who also bring joy and balance to their work. Your compensation will include meaningful equity ownership and a competitive salary and benefits. You will eat well, laugh a lot, and always feel appreciated.
Platfora is revolutionizing the way companies work with big data. We are a Hadoop company - but not focused on the low-level plumbing like the other guys. Platfora brings business intelligence to a new level, giving business users intuitive and interactive tools to explore and visualize massive and evolving datasets in Hadoop. We make Hadoop useful, beautiful, simple, and downright amazing!
||San Mateo, CA 94402 |
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED