Technician Internship/Co-op Spring 2013, Texas SpaceX
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED
Technician Internship/Co-op Spring 2013, Texas
Internships and Co-Ops | McGregor, TX, United States
SpaceX is a US based space technology company founded by its residing CEO and CTO, Elon Musk, the former co-founder of PayPal. The company's goal is to renew a sense of excellence in the space industry by disrupting the current paradigm of complacency and replacing it with innovation and commercialized price points; laying the foundation for a truly space-faring human civilization.
SpaceX builds rockets and spacecraft from the ground up; including electronics, software, vehicle structures, and engines. In-house development includes nearly all flight critical custom components amounting to approximately 85% of our vehicles both by mass and by value. Our development and production efforts represent some of the most dynamic and challenging technology problems seen in any organization.
Our success is driven by a wide variety of engineering perspectives and openness to all great ideas. We pride ourselves on being a meritocracy where employees are defined by their capabilities and contributions, instead of title or tenure. We are actively seeking the best and brightest minds from all industries to continue to build our world class team.
Our employees thrive in a fast-paced engineering ecosystem focused on innovation and high levels of personal responsibility.
At SpaceX we cut through the noise and believe in the essentials of hardcore engineering.
We build it, test it, and fly it.
Texas Test Facility â€" Our Texas team is an integral part of SpaceX operations and plays the critical role of testing our flight vehicles and spacecraft. Located on a 700 acre site in central Texas, the Texas Test Facility is responsible for testing hardware from development stages through acceptance for flight, and from component level to complete stage testing. Experiencing the rumbling of a rocket engine multiple times each day is just one of the highlights of working at our Test Facility.
- Assist technicians in providing support for GSE/Test Operations
- Assist technicians in maintaining, trouble shooting and repairing equipment and instrumentation as needed
- Assist technicians in operating and maintaining hardware, high pressure systems and pumps and other ancillary equipment
- Complete projects assigned by technicians in helping to improve efficiency and site-wide goals
- Collaborate with technicians and engineers to develop and document activities
- Coordinate with technicians to highlight problems and suggest areas for improvement
- Develop novel ways site-wide to streamline processes and increase the reliability of testing operations
- Follow all necessary regulations and appropriate SpaceX procedures including quality policies, safety policies, OSHA, EPA, NIOSH, NFPA, ASME, NEC, etc standards
- Performs other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring an efficient and effective work environment
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Currently enrolled in a two year technical college with a degree in instrumentation, industrial technology, or other related field
- Preferred GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Hands-on experience in prior internships or work experience, preferred
- Ability to read and understand mechanical and electrical schematics, technical manuals, and reports
- Ability to utilize power tools and hand tools; heavy equipment skills a plus
- Ability to work effectively in a fast paced team environment
- Communication skills for relaying data (verbal and written) between other employees and customers
- A demonstrated ability in reading/understanding blueprints and technical manuals and reports
Additional position information
- General physical fitness is required for some work areas, flight hardware typically is built in tight quarters and physical dexterity is required, also the ability to lift heavy objects is required in this position >50lbs
- Ability to work at elevated heights
- Typically exposed to work in extreme outdoor environments â€" heat, cold, rain
- Work performed in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, and noise
Work Hours and Conditions:
SpaceX offers one of the best environments in the world for employees to learn, build real working systems and tackle exciting challenges every day. We operate in a fun, casual work environment. By joining the SpaceX team, you are not just a part of history, you are making it.
- Typically 50 hour work weeks, schedule varies depending on site operational needs, flexibility required
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resource Department at (310) 363-6000.
<< Back to Current Openings
||multiple, multiple |
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED