Tesla Motors is committed to hiring and developing the top engineers in any given discipline. Our world-class engineering teams operate with a non-conventional automotive product development philosophy of high inter-disciplinary collaboration, flat organizational structure and technical contribution at all levels. You will be expected to challenge and to be challenged, to create, to innovate. These jobs are not for everyone.
* You must have a genuine passion for engineering the best electric vehicles in the world. Without passion, you would find what we're trying to do too difficult.
* You must want to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial company.
* We are building real products -- not presentations. This must excite you. You must be a builder. You'll work alongside accomplished, world-renowned engineers on perhaps the most exciting automotive programs in existence today.
Tesla Motors is seeking technically qualified and highly motivated engineers in the field of Design Engineering as applied to automotive Heating, Ventilation and Cooling systems. This Release Engineer position reports to the Senior Engineering Manager of HVAC Systems and Aerodynamics. Qualified individuals will be responsible for coordinating with Tesla Motor vehicle teams and world class automotive suppliers to produce heating and cooling systems with optimum efficiency, performance, reliability and safety.
- The successful candidate for this position must have an engineering background emphasizing automotive component design and fluid dynamics, coupled with the ability to work with other Tesla Motors Engineering teams, Quality, Service, Manufacturing, and Purchasing organizations, as well as world class automotive suppliers.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills are an absolute requirement to establish effective working relationships within Tesla Motors and outside organizations.
- Develop system level design requirements based on vehicle level requirements and industry benchmarks of competitor vehicles.
- Lead design of tube, hose, connector and fastener component specifications, component DFMEA, and design documents for HVAC system.
- Ensure design is feasible for manufacturing and service processes, meeting goals for reliability and maintainability.
- Support reliability & warranty cost modeling to provide proactive feedback to Quality teams.
- Represent HVAC systems in Vehicle Integration, Weight and Packaging meetings.
- Participate in design reviews to assure HVAC subsystem component considerations are being addressed and integrated.
- Manage system level metrics for performance, weight, cost, noise/NVH, power consumption, and reliability.
- Participate in supplier sourcing process as required.
- Create and execute component and subsystem design verification plans and test methods to validate performance to requirements.
- Support system and vehicle architecture team meetings.
- Serve as technical interface with component suppliers supporting HVAC system.
- Manage suppliers and projects to ensure timely program deliverables within budget.
- Ensure product conforms to all federal motor vehicle safety standards governing HVAC operation.
- Support vehicle development milestones and build events.
- Mentor junior level design engineers.
- Create and Release drawings for HVAC system components, wiring, tubes, hoses, connectors and fasteners for vehicle build.
- BS, MS or in mechanical engineering.
- 4 years minimum experience designing automotive heating and cooling system components preferred.
- Experience with CATIA V5, including tube routing and electrical wire routing required.
- Experience with automotive component design including sensors, fans, coolant pumps, compressors, HVAC control modules and displays.
- Working knowledge of automotive component packaging, electrical wire routing, tube, hose, connector, and fastener design.
- Knowledge of heat transfer and fluid dynamics is a benefit.
- Ability to work in diverse and co-located teams.
- Excellent communications skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage novel and difficult projects with tight timing constraints.
- Passion for alternative energy automobiles and energy efficiency.
Tesla Motors is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.
|Location:||Fremont, CA |
|Headquarters:||1050 Bing Street|
San Carlos, CA 94070
|Industry:||Cleantech / Energy|