UNIX System Administrator Terracotta
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED Required Skills
- Familiarity with most basic system administration tools and
processes; for example, can boot/shut down a machine, add and remove
user accounts, use backup programs and fsck or chkdsk, maintain system
database files (groups, hosts, aliases, usermanager).
- Fundamental understanding of an operating system; for example,
understands job control, soft and hard links or shortcuts, distinctions
between the kernel and the user environment.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; capable of writing
purchase justifications, training users in complex topics, making
presentations to an internal audience, and interacting positively with
upper management and regular users. Patience is key
- Comfortable supporting and Internal IT environment as well as a
small production web installation.
- Independent problem-solving, self-directed.
- Comfortable with most aspects of operating system administration;
for example, configuration of mail systems, system installation and
configuration, printer systems, fundamentals of security, installing
- Has a solid understanding of a UNIX-based operating system;
understands paging and swapping, inter-process communication, devices
and what device drivers do, filesystem concepts (inode, clustering,
- Familiarity with fundamental networking/distributed computing
environment concepts; can configure NFS and LDAP, NT domains; can use
nslookup or dig to check information in the DNS; understands basic
- Ability to write scripts in some administrative language (Perl,
Python, Ruby, a shell).
- Ability to work using a ticket system (RT)
- Ability to troubleshoot basic hardware problems including PCs,
Macs, and servers
- Familiarity with networked/distributed computing environment
concepts; for example, can use the route command or administer routing
and remote access service, add a workstation to a network, and mount
- Familiarity with the following: RedHat, Fedora, OpenBSD, Solaris,
Windows, Tomcat, NFS, DHCP, DNS, Samba, LDAP,
Apache httpd, kickstart, Nagios.
- Three to five years of system administration experience.
- Previous experience at a startup as a system administrator a plus.
Desirable Background and Skills
- A degree in computer science or a related field.
- Some programming experience in Java
- Familiarity with the following: Asterisk, Polycom IP phones, SuSE
linux, MacOS, Postfix, Mailman, Zimbra, Cisco VPN, Bacula, Postgresql,
Autoyast, Jumpstart, automounter, RT, VMware, Puppet
- Receives general instructions for new responsibilities from
- Administers a complex site alone or assists in the administration
of a larger site.
- Initiates some new responsibilities and helps to plan for the
future of the site/network.
- Evaluates and/or recommends purchases; has strong influence on
||650 Townsend Street |
San Francisco, CA 94103
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED