Vehicle Test Engineer - Dynamics Tesla Motors
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED
Sr. Vehicle Test Engineer â€" Vehicle Dynamics (Fremont, CA)
Palo Alto, California-based, Tesla Motors uses proprietary technology, world-class design, and state-of-the-art manufacturing processes to create a new generation of highway capable electric vehicles. We utilize an innovative distribution model based on Company-owned sales and service centers. This approach allows us to maintain the highest levels of customer experience and benefit from short customer feedback loops to ensure our customer needs are fulfilled. We believe our operational infrastructure provides us with a competitive advantage compared to traditional automobile manufacturers.
This position will work as a member of Tesla's Vehicle Test Group to support vehicle-level testing for Safety, Reliability, Performance and Vehicle Dynamics tests, performed both in-house and at external test labs. The primary objective of this role is to conduct vehicle-level tests related to Vehicle Dynamics and Active Safety Systems in accordance with test plans and test procedures, and communicate the results to internal engineering teams for successful validation to Tesla requirements. The ideal candidate for this position has a broad background in vehicle testing and data analysis.
- Design, develop and validate Tesla test procedures.
- Create test plans and budgets for off-site test trips.
- Work with internal and external test labs and proving grounds to direct testing activities.
- Lead on & off-site test trips, and personally conduct tests according to test plans and procedures.
- Manage technicians to support test vehicle setup and test execution.
- Analyze data collected during testing to determine if the vehicle meets federal and internal requirements.
- Write test reports to document results of testing and to communicate issues found during testing.
- Create â€œconcerns documentationâ€ for corrective action resolution of issues identified during testing.
- Conduct countermeasure validation testing to approve corrective action resolution.
- Participate in detailed design reviews to drive definition and validation of proper vehicle systems behavior, and participate in program reviews & sign off drives to provide feedback on vehicle performance (release or hold product for production).
- Work with internal engineering teams and external suppliers to develop and validate performance of components and systems, and validation activities. Review component DVP&R's plans.
- Broad experience with Active Safety/ADAS systems (for example: lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control, automatic emergency braking), and associated Euro NCAP and IIHS Test procedures.
- Extensive experience with federally mandated vehicle testing (for example: FMVSS, ECE).
- Experience in operating data acquisition systems (VBox, SoMAT eDAQ, LMS) and sensors (thermal couples/accelerometers/strain gauges/pressure sensors/load cells/LVDT/etc.).
- Strong data analysis and post processing skills (using nCode Glyphworks or Matlab, for example) to validate system performance.
- Experience with vehicle CAN network systems.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to establish effective working relationships with Tesla engineering and test teams, and external test labs.
- Broad experience working in cross-functional teams to drive product development, and a demonstrated ability to influence direction of design based on test results.
- Experience working with various test labs and Proving Grounds.
- Ability to follow oral, written and email instructions.
- Ability to prioritize and organize work load, and meet deadlines.
- Work in a team-based environment to achieve common goals.
- Maintain high-level professional integrity and appearance.
- Knowledge of methods, techniques, parts, tools and materials used in vehicle maintenance.
- Ability to operate a wide variety of hand and power tools, shop tools, and shop equipment.
- Ability to operate and use diagnostic scan tools, scopes, meters, and other test equipment.
- Performance driving experience (Road Racing/Autocross/Rally Racing).
- A Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering Technology
- A minimum of 5 years of experience as a Test Engineer in the automotive industry.
- Must have valid driver's license & advance driver training (SCCA/OEM Proving Ground license)
Candidates must be willing and able to travel domestically and internationally (Up to 40%)
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED