Welder, Texas SpaceX
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED
Texas - Ground Support Equipment Operations and Engineering | McGregor, TX, United States
SpaceX is a US based advanced technology company founded by residing CEO and CTO, Elon Musk. SpaceX builds rockets and spacecraft from the ground up; including electronics, software, vehicle structures, and engines. Our development and production efforts represent some of the most dynamic and challenging technology and engineering systems in the world.
We pride ourselves on being a meritocracy where employees are defined by their capabilities and contributions, instead of title or tenure. We are actively seeking the best and brightest minds from all industries and technologies to continue to build our world class team.
Our employees thrive in a fast-paced environment focused on innovation and high levels of personal responsibility. At SpaceX we cut through the noise and believe in the essentials of hardcore engineering. We build it, test it, and fly it.
Rocket Development Facility â€" Our Texas team is an integral part of SpaceX operations and plays the critical role of testing our flight vehicles and spacecraft. Located on a 700 acre site in central Texas, the Rocket Development Facility is responsible for testing hardware from development stages through acceptance for flight, and from component level to complete stage testing. Experiencing the rumbling of a rocket engine multiple times each day is just one of the highlights of working at our Rocket Development Facility.
- Complete welding assignments and procedures for construction and repair of all site structural stands on time, safely, and in a professional manner
- Cut, trim, or scarf metal objects, fit and fabricate metal components to dimensions for building and assembling test site structural forms
- Collaborate with welding lead coordinator to ensure that the proper weld procedure, type of material and rod size are accurately assessed for each welding project
- Analyze engineering drawings and specifications to plan welding operations where procedural information is unavailable
- Utilize hand welding and flame-cutting equipment to weld together metal components and parts to assemble structural forms
- Maintain a 6010 bead, and 7018 uphill fill and caps (when unsure of bead size refer to lead coordinate)
- Ensure all welds are complete by buffing off and inspecting the weld for proper tie-ins and pinholes as well as cleaning off all buckshot and slag
- Utilize zinc coat spray on welds when working with existing structures
- Obtain and maintain licenses, operator permits or certifications as required
- Make a continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly
- Performs other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring an efficient and effective work environment.
Education & Experience Requirements:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or 6 months to one year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum 1 year experience required, 3-5 years preferred, in the use of oxy acetylene, fitting, arc grouping and electronic welding equipment related to the trade
- Experience with stick, MIG and TIG welding
- General mechanical skills in concrete, machining, and alignment/setting is a plus
- Prefer certification in SMAW, GMAW or GTAW
- Knowledge of welding techniques, metallurgy, and engineering requirements
- Knowledge in:
- Standard tools, materials, motions, and practices of the welding trade
- Ferrous and non-ferrous metals in relating to welding and brazing
- Occupational hazards and effective safety precautions of the trade
- Arc air procedures and equipment
- Use of precision measuring instruments
- Ability to rapidly change roles/responsibilities while working in a high-paced, challenging work environment
- Preference will be given to qualified local candidates
- A valid Texas Driver's License
Additional position information
- Ability to perform job duties that require standing, kneeling, crouching, twisting upper body, working in cramped positions in small opening and climbing hand over hand, lifting 50 lbs., and working on ladders/lifts at elevated heights
- Typically exposed to work in extreme outdoor environments â€" heat, cold, rain
- Work performed in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, and noise
Work Hours and Conditions:
SpaceX offers one of the best environments in the world for employees to learn, build real working systems and tackle exciting challenges every day. We operate in a fun, casual work environment and have great benefits including: competitive salary, stock options, medical/dental insurance and free gym memberships. By joining the SpaceX team, you are not just a part of history, you are making it.
- Typically 50 hour work weeks, schedule varies depending on site operational needs, flexibility required
- Overtime is frequently required for particular tasks or test series
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resource Department at (310) 363-6000.
<< Back to Current Openings
||multiple, multiple |
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED