Development Systems Administrator Lead Guidewire Software
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED
Development Systems Administrator Lead
This position is responsible for leading and working alongside the team that handles the care, feeding and growth of our software development environment. This includes the entire lifecycle of a project, including analysis of requirements, procurement and installing of both hardware and software, configuration, delivery and sustaining.
The right candidate will work closely with the software development team taking a leadership role to interface with department heads and thought leaders to put in place the right technologies and processes to get maximum performance and efficiencies from all layers.
Leadership of Team
- Lead a small team of systems administrators that support the Development organization.
- Discuss priorities with Development, create project plans, track and communicate progress
- Maintain backlog of issues, enhancement requests and other outstanding requests.
- Maintain, deploy, and upgrade the servers that support our development group's core functions like source control, bug tracking, testing,etc.
- Make sure our development lab systems for functional and performance testing, as well as general QA are silky-smooth and super-reliable
- Work with our development group to pro-actively identify future needs and applications
- Build out new servers
- Maintain existing data center and lab equipment
- Dig deep to find and correct issues that affect performance on Windows, Linux or both
What this job isn't
- Contributing and directing small and large teams in the execution of project deliverables.
- Working with business customers to develop requirements, establish and meet deadlines, and create SLAs/support escalation procedures.
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple simultaneous projects adjusting priorities based on needs from the Development organization.
- We are not looking for a LAMP or web-server-farm specialist.
- We are not looking for a regular corporate Windows admin or product specialist; there's a separate group which handles non-development systems like Active Directory, Exchange, and the â€œbusinessâ€ side of the house.
- Only a small minority of the systems you work on will be under the same uptime requirements as traditional IT Infrastructure.
- You will be working with people that have a keen understanding of what systems can and cannot do, not the average desktop user, and they will expect you to perform better and know more than they do day in and day out.
- Willingness and drive to document and automate day to day tasks
- Train/explain and document processes and procedures to new employees
- Desire to work with and collaborate with a dynamic team of professionals.
o at the deployment level to both bare-metal and virtualized hardware,
- Experience leading a small team of highly motivated systems administrators in support of a Software Development organization.
- Ability to think at a strategic level, prioritize and reprioritize initiatives, projects and tasks while communicating out to the effected parts of the development organization.
- Experience working in an Agile Development environment
- Must be experienced and comfortable supporting both Linux and Windows servers
- Deep understanding of either Windows, Linux or both:
o at the â€œcare and feedingâ€ level of deployed hardware,
o ability to diagnose â€œweirdâ€ performance problems and fix them or suggest fixes to development
Additional Skills that would be a BIG plus
- ability to see areas of concern during project requirement
- Experience with server administration across the full lifecyle from sizing and deployment through ongoing maintenance.
- Experience with one or more shared storage systems at the connection-from-the-server level (Netapp, EMC or other SAN, etc.)
- Experience with some kind of enterprise remote management hardware and tools (Dell IDRAC, HP iLo, IBM HMC, & etc)
- Understanding of imaging/automated deployment for Windows, Linux, or Both
- Familiarity with some kind of non-virtualized server management or monitoring environment (any one of: Zabbix, Nagios, Microsoft SystemCenter, or similar; NOT just vCenter)
- Understanding of tools for automating systems administration on Windows, Linux, or both
- Experience with keeping locally-hosted mission-critical services going
- Experience using some kind of source control system (git a plus; this is at an end-user level, not necessarily administrator)
- Experience using some kind of bug tracking system (jira a plus; this is at an end-user level, not necessarily administrator)
- Experience with using and deploying servers in a virtualization environment
- Customer and team oriented
- Strong multi-tasking and prioritization skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- 24 x 7 availability during once a month week long on-call shift
Skills/experience that would be nice to have:
- Experience working with server vendors on specifications and procurement
- Experience with hardware benchmarking and performance optimization
- Experience with storage administration for NetApp or EMC VNX
- Experience with Citrix XenServer
- Experience with Dell IDRAC and M1000e blade server management
- Experience administering or deploying perforce, jira, git or GitHub Enterprise
- Experience with non-standard/commodity hardware in a lab environment (in particular consumer SSD-based deployments)
- Experience with an automated system for imaging (Puppet/Chef/Cobbler on Linux, SystemCenter Configuration Manager/KACE on Windows, etc)
- Experience working with a software development group using some form of agile methodology (Scrum, Kanban, XP, etc.) â€" can â€œtalk developerâ€
- Experience working on a small team across the full breadth of the IT project lifecycle
- Experience with a dense local lab environment
- Understanding of common network protocols such as HTTP, NFS, DNS and DHCP, including how they work and where they can go wrong
- Experience deploying or administering either Oracle or Microsoft SQL Server in a development environment
- Experience with some other version of Unix
- Experience with AIX on IBM p-Series hardware
- Experience with deploying and maintaining multi-site applications
- Experience with disaster recovery, high-availability and/or load-balancing
- A BA/BS in Computer Science/Engineering/MIS, or equivalent real world experience
- 8+ yrs. progressive experience in related positions.
Guidewire makes mission critical systems for multi-billion dollar insurance companies. To ensure our products are reliable, we strongly value test-driven development. We constantly brainstorm how to improve our coding and testing processes. Our software is great, the coffee is okay, and the buildings are decent enough. What's special, though, is that we're a team passionately focused on customer success and our long term goals. Talk to people here and you'll immediately sense their enthusiasm. We're proud of what we build and how we work together.
At the heart of Guidewire culture are three values:
- Collegiality. We work together as professional equals, with a minimum of hierarchy. We strive for good processes and realistic assumptions to keep workload sustainable. We trust people to manage their own time. We seek input without regard for title. We encourage contrary opinions. We value work/life balance.
- Integrity. We insist on truthful relationships with customers, prospective customers, partners, investors, and each other in everything we do.
- Rationality. We communicate through clear arguments. We decide carefully based on factual evidence. We like calm, systematic, thoughtful solutions. We constantly improve processes.
||Foster City, CA |
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED
As the number one provider of enterprise software applications to the property and casualty insurance industry, we beat our competitors (Accenture, SAP, and others) 9 times out of 10. Guidewire is an award-winning company both within the insurance industry and in the software technology space. Given our success and increasing demand for our products domestically and internationally, we continue to experience double-digit revenue growth. Guidewire has offices throughout the world, including in London, Munich, Paris, Sydney, Tokyo, Toronto, Hong Kong, and the United States.
Profitable Investors: Battery Ventures
, Bay Partners
, U.S. Venture Partners All Jobs: at Guidewire Software
|Headquarters:||2211 Bridgepointe Parkway, Ste 200|
San Mateo, CA 94404
|Company Profile:||Guidewire Software is a profitable, privately held, and VC-backed enterprise software product development company that exclusively serves the 1.5 trillion dollar property and casualty insurance industry. Our products enable companies such as GEICO, Liberty Mutual, and Amica to efficiently run their high volume core operations, including underwriting, policy administration, claims, and billing.
Our success can be directly attributed to the bright and extremely talented employees who make it all happen. If you are looking for an opportunity where your talents will not only be recognized and leveraged but also challenged, at a company that is grabbing significant market share in a 1.5 trillion dollar industry, then Guidewire is the place for you. We have an extremely low-turnover organization and 100 percent customer referenceability.
Support Guidewire Software with Social Media services