Palo Alto, California-based, Tesla Motors uses proprietary technology, world-class design, and state-of-the-art manufacturing processes to create a new generation of highway capable electric vehicles. We utilize an innovative distribution model based on Company-owned sales and service centers. This approach allows us to maintain the highest levels of customer experience and benefit from short customer feedback loops to ensure our customer needs are fulfilled. We believe our operational infrastructure provides us with a competitive advantage compared to traditional automobile manufacturers.
The Purchasing Specialist will assist the Purchasing Manager with strategic sourcing, Engineering interfaces, issuing and evaluating RFQs, commercial issues and negotiations, cost reduction opportunities and overall supplier management.
- Lead and execute the supplier sourcing process.
- Oversee supplier engagement with Engineering in the development process.
- Issue and analyze RFQs, including collecting detailed cost breakdown information.
- Review, analyze and clarify quote packages and cost breakdowns from suppliers.
- Negotiate pricing, incoterms, payments terms with suppliers in support of annual productivity and vehicle cost reduction targets.
- Execute frame contracts including general terms and conditions with suppliers.
- Assemble sourcing information for approval by the Sourcing Council.
- Issue Purchase Orders (POs) for prototype and production tooling and components.
- Negotiate, evaluate and issue POs for program Engineering, Development and Test (ED&T).
- Identify and negotiate commercial cost reduction opportunities.
- Negotiate cost changes related to product design changes.
- Track and reconcile commodity (raw material) prices with suppliers.
- Work with Suppliers, Engineering and Material Planning to release parts into production.
- Work jointly with SQA to identify, assess and qualify suppliers and drive continuous quality improvement.
- Develop commodity sourcing strategies and sourcing efficiencies.
- Work on â€œLeanâ€ initiatives and identify other sourcing efficiencies via benchmarking, VA/VE, competitive quotes and resourcing.
- Maintain day-to-day supplier relationships; point of contact for all supplier commercial issues.
- Respond to supply shortages that are outside Material Planning's control.
- Bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Supply Chain.
- 5+ yrs business / purchasing background preferred.
- BIW, stamping, casting or chassis component experience preferred.
- Stamping or casting tooling and die experience preferred.
- Open-minded self starter with the ability to adapt, improvise and problem solve.
- Manufacturing experience in area of placement preferred.
- Experience with SAP or other ERP or MRP purchasing systems experience.
- Ability to work independently on multiple tasks and projects, with various teams including engineers and supply chain personnel.
- Good negotiation, written and verbal skills.
- Organizational skills to manage and track transactional details.
- Team player and with strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to travel up to 50%, possibly on short notice.
- Fluent in Spanish, German, or Chinese preferred.
Tesla Motors is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.