Palo Alto, California-based, Tesla Motors uses proprietary technology, world-class design, and state-of-the-art manufacturing processes to create a new generation of highway capable electric vehicles. We utilize an innovative distribution model based on Company-owned sales and service centers. This approach allows us to maintain the highest levels of customer experience and benefit from short customer feedback loops to ensure our customer needs are fulfilled. We believe our operational infrastructure provides us with a competitive advantage compared to traditional automobile manufacturers.
The Purchasing Specialist will assist the Purchasing Manager with strategic sourcing, Engineering interfaces, issuing and evaluating RFQs, commercial issues and negotiations, cost reduction opportunities and overall supplier management.
- Support Engineering to identify suppliers available for sourcing.
- Issue RFQs to multiple suppliers for multiple commodities.
- Review, analyze and clarify quote packages from suppliers.
- Support/Lead a strategic sourcing approval process.
- Issue PO's for Prototype Parts and Prototype/Production Tooling.
- Negotiate, evaluate and issue PO's for program Engineering, Development and Test (ED&T).
- Identify and negotiate commercial cost reduction opportunities.
- Negotiate cost changes related to product design changes.
- Issue new PO's for any commodity price changes.
- Work with Suppliers, Engineering and Material Planning to release parts into production.
- Work with SQA to identify â€œqualifiedâ€ suppliers and drive continuous quality improvement.
- Develop commodity sourcing strategies and sourcing efficiencies.
- Work on â€œLeanâ€ initiatives and identify other sourcing efficiencies via benchmarking, VA/VE, competitive quotes and resourcing.
- Maintain day-to-day supplier relationships; point of contact for all supplier commercial issues.
- Respond to supply shortages that are outside Material Planning's control.
- Bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Supply Chain.
- 1-3 yrs business / purchasing background.
- Open-minded self starter with the ability to adapt, improvise and problem solve.
- Strong Excel background Automotive or electronics background preferred.
- Manufacturing experience in area of placement preferred.
- Experience with SAP or other ERP or MRP purchasing systems experience.
- Ability to work independently on multiple tasks and projects, with various teams including engineers and supply chain personnel.
- Good negotiation, written and verbal skills.
- Organizational skills to manage and track transactional details.
- Team player and with strong interpersonal skills.
Tesla Motors is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.